Have you ever wondered if stress is messing with your skin?
If so, you're not alone!
Almost daily over the last 15 years I've been an aesthetician, when I meet with someone online or in person to help them solve their skin concerns, STRESS is one of the top responses I hear when I ask the question, "Has anything changed in your life since you've started experiencing these challenges with your skin?"
Stress seems to be affecting everyone more and more lately & yes, it can absolutely impact your complexion.
Not to worry, though! There are many ways to reduce it's affects.
HOW STRESS AFFECTS YOUR SKIN
- We can get extra lines and wrinkles from the scowling faces we can subconsciously make when we're worried or stressed about something.
- We can get breakouts from a surge of hormones that come about when we're stressed.
- We can get dark circles under our eyes if stress is keeping us from sleeping at night and/or if we're pounding the caffeine just to get through the day.
- Sometimes stress leads people to eat things they wouldn't or drink more alcohol than they normally would. Too much sugar, junk, or booze can lead to a whole cascade of internal imbalances and chemical reactions that create both wrinkles & acne (a dreaded combo that MANY are concerned with.)
- Stress picking is very common. Also known as, dermatillomania, the picking of one's skin (whether there's anything to pick or not) is something I see quite regularly. This can lead to scarring and discolorations as well as guilt, shame, and even more stress about one's appearance. Stress management techniques can help, yet if this is something that you or someone you love really struggle with, there are therapists who specialize in helping with this sort of thing.
- Oh, and we can't forget rashes! In times of stress those bad boys can pop up in the form of dry & scaly patches, burning or stinging patches, blistery pimply looking patches, or all of the above. all. at. once. These can show up on joints, the scalp, anywhere on the body, as well as the face. No fun! I've been there and many of my clients have too. Have you seen my rashy flare up photos? Yikes! Many traditional doctors will prescribe steroids. However, more and more functional medicine practitioners (and people like me) are spreading the word about the effects of stress (and food sensitivities) on the skin & with some very intentional shifting of one's lifestyle these yucky rashes can start to fade fairly quickly.
INTERNAL WAYS TO COMBAT STRESS RELATED SKIN CHALLENGES
TOPICAL WAYS TO COMBAT STRESS RELATED SKIN CHALLENGES
And as always, if you're in need of some help with your skin - whether that's with lines, wrinkles, acne, dryness, clogging, or slowing the signs of aging - feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how I may be able to best help you on your path to achieving the complexion of your dreams.
Wishing you healthy, beautiful skin!
Professional Makeup Artist
Creator of the remarkably effective skincare & makeup line, Breanna Thomas Naturals
Brow Design Expert
Health & Happiness Encourager for Busy Women in Business